Beverly Hills Alimony Attorney
Alimony is just one of many issues that might need to be addressed when you get a divorce in Beverly Hills, CA. Whether you expect the court will order you or your soon-to-be ex to pay alimony, in these circumstances, it helps to have proper legal advocacy. At Baghdaserians Law Group, a Beverly Hills alimony attorney is prepared to offer just that.
Types of Alimony in Beverly Hills, CA
When couples in Beverly Hills decide to end their marriage, one of the key issues they must consider is alimony. Alimony is a court-ordered payment made from one spouse to another, typically following divorce proceedings. In Beverly Hills and throughout California, there are several different types of alimony that may be awarded.
- Temporary Alimony: When couples separate or during divorce proceedings, temporary alimony can be awarded to help spouses maintain financial stability during this period of transition. Temporary alimony can include monthly payments for basic needs such as food, housing and medical care.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: This type of alimony can be issued to help a spouse obtain education or training that will enable them to become self-supporting.
- Lump Sum Alimony: Lump sum alimony can be awarded in addition to, or instead of, regular payments and provides a spouse with a single payment rather than ongoing support. A Beverly Hills alimony attorney can provide advice on which type of lump sum alimony is appropriate for each situation, as well as assist in negotiating an acceptable amount.
- Permanent Alimony: Also known as spousal support, permanent alimony may be awarded if one party does not have enough income to support themselves. Permanent alimony may be awarded if a marriage lasted at least a decade or if, due to such factors as poor health or age, it’s unlikely the lower-earning spouse will be able to enter the workforce.
Factors a Court Considers When Awarding Alimony in Beverly Hills
Courts account for numerous factors when determining what type of alimony arrangement might be appropriate after a divorce in California. These factors include (but aren’t necessarily limited to) the following:
- Length of the marriage
- Age and health of each spouse
- Each party’s earning capacity and employment history
- Whether one spouse stayed home to care for children or elderly family members
- The lifestyle enjoyed by both parties during the marriage
Important Information About Alimony Termination in California
Alimony can typically be terminated or modified in the event of a change in circumstances. These changes can include remarriage, death of either spouse, or if one party is able to prove that there has been a “substantial change” in economic circumstances and that there is no longer a need for alimony payments.
Contact a Beverly Hills Alimony Attorney
The process of awarding alimony can be complicated and it’s always wise to retain a knowledgeable Beverly Hills alimony attorney who understands the nuances of California law. An experienced lawyer at Baghdaserians Law Group will provide guidance on which type of alimony may be appropriate and help negotiate an acceptable amount on your behalf. For more information, contact us online or call us at (310) 299-4608.